Public Safety Updates
- AZ: Prescott considers changing fees for false alarms
1.11.18 – The Daily Courier – Mandatory free registration and an accelerated false-alarm fine schedule could be in store for users of security alarms in Prescott. Still, the city’s changes likely will not go as far as the “verified alarm response” that the Town of Prescott Valley imposed starting Jan. 1. While a final decision on a change in the way the Prescott … More Info
9 New Products from the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas.
- Bosch BMA400 accelerometers are used in glass break and vibration sensors and in wearable devices such as fitness bands, smart clothes, watches and activity trackers. The sensor’s measurement signal has precisely defined cutoff frequencies to help distinguish between real alarm situations like broken glass and false signals coming from random vibrations. To extend battery life, the BMA400 wakes up automatically only when it detects motion and goes back into sleep mode when the motion recedes. More Info
- Ooma Butterfleye can detect and recognize different sounds, people, and pets and provide users with instant detailed alerts. It has a 120-degree field of view and supports 24/7 live streaming in 1080p Full HD and two-way talk audio.
- Ooma geofencing capabilities will automatically arm and disarm the security system based on users’ proximity to home. Using each users’ smartphone GPS, Ooma Home will activate the system when the last recognized user leaves a customizable radius, and it turn it off as soon as a recognized user returns.
- Lynky Go Button eliminates the need to be in the same room in order to manage a home’s Internet of Things devices.
- Linky Go Sensor offers temperature- and humidity-tracking capabilities.
- New 700 Series Z-Wave Platform includes numerous performance and technological enhancements in energy-efficiency and RF performance.
- Alarm.com connected thermostat uses machine learning and cloud intelligence to anticipate HVAC failures and water damage. For easier installation, it automatically detects HVAC wiring and configures settings to the home’s system.
- ADT Life360 is a networking app that allows family members to share their location with each other and communicate throughout the day.
- ADT Pulse Video DoorBell allows users to use one mobile app to unlock doors to disarm their security system, and trigger events once the doorbell is engaged.
- ADT Cybersecurity services will include devices and customizable services to professionally monitor home WiFi networks, safeguard computers, mobile devices and smart gadgets by partnering with leading cyber device brands.
10 Smart Fire Prevention Products From CES 2018
- LifeDoor shuts the door when a fire-alarm sounds. The motorized product, which slips over a door’s existing hinges, blares a siren and flashes a light as the door shuts automatically.
- 2Gig Stove & Grill Guard, which sends an alert when the knob is turned from the off position.
- Innohome Stove Alarm SA101 learns the cooking behaviors of a household, and sounds an alarm when an anomaly is detected.
- iGuardFire includes an electronic on/off controller that communicates with a power box plugged into the stove’s existing power outlet. Electricity flows to the stove only when it’s supposed to. (A gas version is available as well.)
- Inirv React motorized knob for stoves, installs directly over the stove’s shaft to torque the temperature downward as needed, for example, to shut off a burner completely in an emergency event, or to simply reduce to a warmer position for simmering.
- The OnePrevent from OneEvent Technologies uses machine learning to monitor environmental conditions, alerting homeowners if those conditions might portend a fire.
- Safer Alarms, Inc. puts the sensor closer to the potential fire source. In a kitchen, for example, that would be near the stove burners.
- NodOn EYE smoke detector uses two LEDs – infrared and blue – to first detect an obstruction, and then qualify if it is smoke.
- SftyAS offers WiFi-enabled smoke detectors for apartments, condos and hotels. A smoke detector triggered in one unit would trigger detectors across the complex. With their built-in motion sensors, the detectors can inform emergency crews on the whereabouts of people in the building. A cloud-based service provides other building analytics to help warn and evacuate occupants.
- OneLink Safe & Sound combines a Photoelectric, Ionization smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector along with a hands-free voice-controlled speaker and built-in Alexa Voice services. If multiple Safe & Sounds devices are installed, they will all ring and can notify your mobile phone. The device installs like a standard hardwired smoke alarm and has a 10-year sealed Lithium backup battery
- Wayne Alarm Acquires High-End Resi Specialist Lexington Alarm …
1.9.18 – Security Sales & Integration – Lexington Alarm specializes primarily in custom-designed security systems for high-end and exclusive residential neighborhoods in the greater Boston area. Founded in 1972 by Donald Martini, the company has approximately 8,700 clients. Its subscriber base consists of a 75%/25% mix of residential and commercial … More Info
- ADT brings verification to SMB customers using its Pulse platform
1.11.18 – SSN – Boca Raton, Fla. – ADT announced in late December that it could verify alarms through cameras connected for small- to medium-sized business customers on the ADT Pulse platform nationwide. More Info
- Ring Gets Hit With Patent Infringement Over Video Doorbell
1.10.18 – SSI – Dealing with its second lawsuit in less than a year, video doorbell-maker Ring has been accused of stealing intellectual property from SkyBell Technologies. More Info
|Jeff Ellington | Building codes. Prohibits a city, town, or county from adopting an ordinance that includes more stringent or detailed requirements that conflict with the fire prevention and building safety commission’s rules. Status: 01/08/2018 : First reading: referred to Committee on Veterans Affairs and Public Safety||History|
|Housing; installation and maintenance of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Creates a statewide standard for the installation and maintenance of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in rental property.
Status: 01/08/2018 : House: Committee Referral Pending
State & National News
- Stay Safe at Home
1.5.18 – NEMA – According to the National Center for Health Statistics, adults 65 and older are 2.4 times as likely as the general population to die in fires, 3.6 times higher for those 85 and older. More Info
- Will my home security system still work in a power outage?
1.9.18 – WTOP – Landline/Phone line alarm monitoring: Yes it will still work! What it is: This type of monitoring sends signals to the monitoring station via a standard phone line (often known as POTS, for Plain Old Telephone Service). Why it still works during a power failure: It works for the same reason your landline phone still works when … More Info
- Under new Trump administration tax rules, millions of Americans will need to use an IRS tool to ensure their paychecks are accurate
1.11.18 – Washington Post – Trump administration officials made the announcement as they issued guidelines for businesses to calculate how much to withhold in taxes from employees’ paychecks beginning as soon as next month. More Info
- Maryland Senate overturns Hogan’s veto, becoming ninth state requiring paid sick leave
1.12.18 – Washington Post – Despite an effort by Gov. Larry Hogan (R) to persuade Democrats to abandon the legislation, which he said would hurt businesses and potentially invade workers’ privacy, the Senate voted 30 to 17 to override his veto, with one vote more than was needed. Companies with 15 or more employees will be required to provide five days of sick leave a year. More Info
- White Marsh Mall bathroom cam sheds light on rise of security …
1.13.18 – Baltimore Sun – “I try to get out of the customer what they’re trying to do, so I can properly sell them the equipment,” said Aloha “YT” Miller, general manager of Maryland Burglar AlarmCo., an Essex seller of residential and commercial security systems. Regardless of whether they are in a public place or private home, cameras shouldn’t be … More Info
- 2018 Goals: Here’s Why Measuring Your Attrition Should Be a Priority
1.9.18 – SSI – The latest data shows a rise in RMR dollars, yet gross and net attrition is up across customer source categories. Learn how to evaluate attrition to help stem losses. More Info
- 10 Steps to Avoid IP Video Missteps
1.11.18 – SSI – More and better features along with enticing price points have moved networked video from the new alternative to the de facto video surveillance choice. Yet thousands of analog systems remain just waiting to be upgraded. Low-hanging fruit? Perhaps, if you are prepared to peel away potential pitfalls. More Info
- Dealing With Disruption
1.11.18 – SSI – Talk about trying to hit a moving target. Fast-moving technology, customer preferences and market competition are keeping security company managers on their toes. Four savvy execs explain how they are ensuring disrupt does not bankrupt their companies. More Info
- How to Solve Common Complaints Heard by Security Dealers
1.9.18 – Learning to listen to clients’ complaints can help ease potential headaches. UCC’s Mark Matlock shares how. More Info
Fire & EMS News
- IA: False alarm fire at BHS
1.13.18 – Burlington Hawk Eye – The Burlington Fire Department responded tonight to a fire alarm about 9:10 p.m. at Burlington High School. Despite initial reports of flames near the high school pool, there appeared to be no fire. A malfunctioning steam pipe was thought to have set off the fire alarm. More Info
- KY: Police and fire reports for Jan. 12, 2018
1.12.18 – Winchester Sun – At 5:34 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters responded to an alarm sounding at 803 Larry Court. … personnel responded to 18 general medical calls, two respiratory cases, one overdose and one obstetric case. — At 4:49 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters responded to an alarm sounding at 101 W. Lexington Ave. It was a false alarm. More Info
- NJ: Broken Sprinkler Pipe Prompts County Justice Complex Closure
1.8.18 – Patch.com – Toms River, NJ – A broken sprinkler pipe in the atrium of the Oean County Justice Complex prompted an evacuation of the building Monday afternoon when it triggered a fire alarm, county officials said. Ocean County spokeswoman Donna Flynn said the pipe froze during the recent frigid weather and set of the censors … More Info
- ON: Alarm alerts tenant to fire
1.11.18 – The North Bay Nugget – North Bay Fire and Emergency Services said the tenant of a unit at a four-plex was upstairs when the smoke alarm went off. “He came downstairs to his kitchen where he encountered a significant fire which had extended to most of the kitchen,” said the fire department. “The tenant called 911 … More Info
- ON: Sprinklers put out restaurant fire
1.12.18 – CTV News – Firefighters responded to a small fire at a restaurant Thursday night. They say they got the call at just before 11:00 p.m. from an alarm company, alerting them to a fire alarm going off in the restaurant. Firew crews found alarms sounding and smoke near the kitchen when they arrived. More Info
- PA: Arson case in Westmoreland dismissed after defendant dies in …
1.9.18 – Tribune-Review – The home’s occupants were able to escape after a smoke alarm alerted them. Atkinson denied breaking into the basement, police said. A bail revocation hearing in that case had been scheduled for Wednesday. Atkinson had been free on recognizance bond. Renatta Signorini is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at … More Info
- PA: Police Blotter 12/05/17-1/09/18
1.12.18 – The Sentry – 12/21/17 -Fire Alarm- Guardian reported a fire alarm activation for the Lafayette Center. Officers responded and found the cause to be burnt food in the microwave. Maintenance was notified to reset that alarm system.(closed). 12/21/17 -Departmental information- Officers along with Residence Life did a walk through or … More Info
- VT: Chemistry class mishap evacuates Milton High School
1.12.18 – My Champlain Valley FOX44 & ABC22 – Milton, Vt. – The Milton School District said an unexpected chemical reaction set off alarms at Milton High. On Thursday, school officials said an unexpected chemical reaction occurred in one of the science labs during a student project. A release states, “Due to the nature of the experiment, an alarm was set off.” Students and … More Info
- AZ: PD: Man caught stealing $5K copper pipes from Tempe school
1.9.18 – ABC15 Arizona – Tempe Police report that on January 2, they responded to an alarm call at the Meyer Montessori School. Police found 36-year-old Robert James Lane in the boiler room of the school. Next to him were several pieces of copper piping and fittings. Police estimate the damage to the … More Info
- CA: $345000 bail in CAL Ranch gun theft arrest
1.12.18 – Elko Daily Free Press – Elko police Lt. Mike Palhegyi said an officer responded to an alarm at the store shortly after 2 a.m. Dec. 11. He noticed a broken pane of glass so he called for backup, Palhegyi said. Inside, officers found broken display cases. The burglars apparently fled through the back door. Sixteen assorted handguns were stolen and … More Info
- CA: San Diego County Deputy injured during investigation into burglary …
1.12.18 – Crime Voice – Alpine // A San Diego County Sheriff’s Deputy was injured on the job by an uncooperative passerby during an investigation into a burglary alarm. On the afternoon of January 10th, at around 4 PM, deputies were responding to a report of a burglary alarm at the Alpine School District building. As they … More Info
- FL: Business Owner Looks to Social Media to Help Solve Overnight …
1.12.18 – WKRG – A Pensacola area business owner is asking the community for help after his store was burglarized overnight. Mike Emmons turned to Facebook with pictures from his surveillance cameras in hopes that someone would recognize the crook. Emmons says his alarm company called at 3:11 in the morning to tell him the alarm … More Info
- FL: Teens Arrested In Genesis School Burglaries
1.8.18 – Patch.com – New Port Richey, FL – Two teens are facing multiple charges in connection with a series of break-ins at a New Port Richey school over the weekend. According to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to an alarm at the Genesis School… More Info
- IN: Arrest made in connection to gas station burglaries
1.12.18 – News Dispatch – Shortly after deputies responded to the first incident, the sheriff’s department and the Westville Police Department were dispatched to A&A gas station for an active alarm. No entry was made into the business, but deputies once again reviewed the security footage and determined … More Info
- KY: More than 40 handguns believed taken in burglary at Daviess …
1.12.18 – Hopkinsville Kentucky New Era – The store had an alarm system and an alarm was triggered when the men broke the window, but the store’s owner, Chris Whittaker, did not receive a call from the alarm company, Thompson said. Whittaker didn’t discover the burglary until he arrived at the store at 7:45 a.m., Thompson said. “When he unlocked the door and … More Info
- LA: Shreveport Police patrol officers nab trio of business burglars
1.8.18 – KTBS – Just after 6:30 pm, Shreveport Police patrol officers responded to a suspicious person call at Goodwill Industries. When they arrived, they made contact with 18-year-old Brianna Taylor and 2 juveniles. Officers heard the business alarm sounding and discovered that … More Info
- MA: Mattapoisett Police Log, Jan. 1-6
1.13.18 – Wicked Local Mattapoisett – The following are excerpts from the Mattapoisett police log for Monday, Jan. 1, through Saturday, Jan. 6. The log is public record and available for review. All persons are presumed innocent unless found guilty in a court of law. Monday, Jan. 1. 7:53 p.m.: A burglar alarm was reported on Neds Point Road. Tuesday, Jan. 2. More Info
- MI: Jackson Sheriff: Deputies called for report of goat in roadway
1.12.18 – MLive.com – Deputy Shackelford responded to an alarm. 12:25 a.m.. Deputy Faouzi responded to Watts Street for an animal complaint. 3:38 a.m.. Deputies Hudson and Faouzi responded to Steve’s Scenic Drive for an alarm. 3:57 a.m.. Deputies Hudson and Faouzi responded to Cottage Drive for an alarm. 4:39 a.m.. More Info
- MN: Litchfield Police Report 1/5/18-1/7/18
1.8.18 – Crow River Media – 8:06 A.M. Litchfield Police responded to an alarm at a North Marshall Avenue business. Upon officers’ arrival, everything was found to be okay. … More Info
- MN: Lonsdale police report Dec. 31-Jan. 6
1.13.18 – Southernminn.com – Responded to a burglary alarm. Building found secure, false alarm. • Took report from a party receiving harassing and inappropriate messages on 10th Ave. NE, incident under investigation. • Received request to check on a vehicle off road at Independence and Union Lake Trl. Vehicle located unoccupied, … More Info
- MN: Meeker County Sheriff Report 1/8/18
1.9.18 – Crow River Media – On the 8th at 6:44 a.m. the Sheriff’s Office responded to an alarm. The deputy found everything was okay at the address. On the 8th at 6:51 a.m. the Sheriff’s Office took a report of a property damage accident. On the 8th at 8:00 a.m. the … More Info
- NC: 2 men accused of robbing Cordova convenience store
1.12.18 – Richmond County Daily Journal – After receiving an alarm call, the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office sent out a description of the suspects, according to a press release sent Thursday. As deputies were en route, a Rockingham Police officer noticed a vehicle speeding. The officer followed the … More Info
- NH: Alleged Meth Dealers Arrested After Alarm Activation At Hotel
1.9.18 – Patch.com – When they arrived, they went to the room where the alarm activated and spoke with Gates. “While speaking with MFD and MPD personnel, they noticed a Ziplock baggie with methamphetamine on the floor at Gates’ feet,” Sgt. Cassell of the Merrimack Police Department. “He was arrested without incident.” Kenny was also in … More Info
- NH: Former pharmacist who pled guilty to drug-diversion charges once …
1.12.18 – The Union Leader – While on medical leave in March and April 2012, Kellermann used his employee key code to enter the company after hours, deactivate the alarm and steal narcotic pain medication for his personal use, prosecutors said. Kellermann removed the plastic top of vials containing hydromorphone and morphine, inserted syringes … More Info
- OH: Police: Man broke into jewelry store by cutting hole in roof
1.12.18 – Cincinnati.com – Police say the man appeared to be startled by the alarm and fled out of the business by smashing out a window. The Harrison Police Department released video of the person responsible for their break-in, which occurred in the early morning hours of New Year’s Eve. “He used regular tin snips and for him to cut meticulously … More Info
- OK: Alarm Scares Off Tulsa Store Burglars
1.10.18 – News On 6 – Police say two burglars broke into a Tulsa business early Wednesday, but left without taking anything, thanks to an alarm. Officers say just before 3:30 a.m., police were sent to the Family Dollar. Store security told officers, video inside the store showed two men wearing masks forcing … More Info
- PA: Police: Alarms stymied two burglaries, but not a third
1.9.18 – Wilkes Barre Times-Leader – Activated burglar alarms at two homes scared away two suspects, but they were later successful in stealing items from another residence that had no alarm, according to court records. Erik Bruno, 46, of Mount Lookout Park, Exeter, was arraigned Tuesday for his alleged role in attempted burglaries at houses in Dallas and … More Info
- SC: Surveillance footage shows store break-in
1.9.18 – Sumter Item – Bell said the suspects were only inside for about 20 seconds and were gone when deputies arrived about three minutes after they received an alarm. This store has not been targeted before, Bell said, though last spring or early summer a man reportedly broke into a string of businesses by breaking the … More Info
- TN: Would-Be Robbers Flee When Gas Station Clerk Reaches For Alarm
1.8.18 – Patch.com – Donelson, TN – Two armed men cancelled their stick-up bid at a Donelson Mapco when the clerk reached for an alarm button, according to Metro Police. Shortly before midnight, a man wearing a white bandanna over his face entered the Mapco and milled about while other customers at the counter … More Info
- WA: A lawyer walks into a bank — and things get weird
1.10.18 – The Daily Herald – As the bank’s customer service manager would later tell police, Kriger reportedly insisted a troubled family member was outside with a police scanner and a high-powered rifle. If Kriger didn’t come out with the money, or somebody triggered the silent alarm, the gunman would open fire. The manager hit the alarm anyway. More Info
- WI: Smash and grab burglary nets $2300 in cigarettes, Madison police say
1.8.18 – Madison.com – A smash and grab burglary early Saturday morning resulted in $2,300 in cigarettes taken from an East Side convenience store. The burglary happened at about 4:50 a.m. at Capitol Petro Mart, Madison police said. Officers responding to the burglary alarm found window glass shattered at the store. More Info
- WV: UPDATE: Morgantown Police searching for robbery suspect
1.12.18 – WDTV – According to the Morgantown Police Department, officers responded to a hold up alarm at the United Bank. Officials say the alarm went off at around 11:45 a.m. When officers arrived, a robbery had just taken place. The suspect was described as a white man in his mid-twenties to early thirties wearing a … More Info
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or email@example.com
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director- Craig Bober
- Secretary- Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director- Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director- Brian Villari
- Executive Director- Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate- Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate- Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate- Rex Adams