Door to Door Sales
- Alarm industry sees progress in its continuing fight against deceptive sales
5.22.18 – SIW – Despite a declining number of complaints, industry vows to maintain pressure on fraudsters
Public Safety Updates
- CA: LA Considering Big Fines For False Fire Alarms
5.22.18 – CBS Los Angeles – LAFD determined that 12,000 of the approximately 25,000 fire alarm callouts it receives per year are false, according to a report from the council’s Public Safety ..
- ADS Security Completes Another Acquisition in Mississippi
5.21.18 – Alarm One customers will have access to the ADS advanced suite of residential and commercial services, like an industry-leading mobile app, smart home technologies, video surveillance and access control solutions.
- Are Pro Security Companies on Amazon’s Shopping List?
5.21.18 – Security Sales & Integration – (Of course, Amazon couldn’t install Ring Alarm anyway, because it isn’t … On top of the alarm and surveillance laws, there are rules for installing door locks and …
- Product of the Week – Stanley Security Thermal Perimeter Detection
5.23.18 – Rental Equipment Register – Stanley Security has broadened its alarm verification offerings with its Thermal Perimeter Detection, a solution designed to provide a reinforced layer of …
- How Nightingale Is Making Aerial Security a Reality
5.23.18 – Security Sales & Integration – When an alarm is triggered, the system automatically dispatches a drone to the alarm location and streams live video to the security team. Nightingale’s drones …
- New technologies help seniors age in place – and not feel alone
5.26.18 – The Durango Herald- At $45-$60 a month (plus an upfront fee of $100 to $200), Alarm.com’s Wellness system is markedly less expensive than options such as hiring a home health …
State & National News
- Places in the U.S. where disaster strikes again and again
5.24.18 – The New York Times – In the last 16 years, parts of Louisiana have been struck by six hurricanes. Areas near San Diego were devastated by three particularly vicious wildfire seasons. And a town in eastern Kentucky has been pummeled by at least nine storms severe enough to warrant federal assistance.
- Should Smart Home Devices Talk to Your Insurance Company?
5.22.18 – EH – The majority of homeowners like the idea, here are some smart home devices that can do the job.
- 6 Reasons to Reduce False Fire Alarms
5.21.18 – SSI – Fire departments in the United States responded to more than 2.6 million false fire alarms in 2016, according to Statista. Here are a half-dozen ways help curtail the problem.
- How GDPR Privacy Rules Could Hamper Smart Home AI
5.22.18 – CEPro – According to industry analysts, the GDPR may cause serious problems for businesses, including higher AI costs, practical limitations, and legal risks.
- Texas lieutenant governor’s proposal to remove exits from school buildings is a bad idea, safety experts say
5.21.18 – SIW – Locking entryways once the school day has begun seen as a more viable alternative
5.22.18 – CI – Before you cringe … Working with your competitors on strategic projects, in certain situations does have its benefits. We look at two examples in which integration firms sweep their competition aside and work together for the benefit of the customers — and themselves
- One thing every sales manager should have
5.23.18 – SSN – I’ve frequently described the sales leadership job—whether the title is chief sales officer, sales manager, or anything in between—as the most vulnerable job on the org chart. Even though there are dozens of factors that lead to sales success and failure, the sales leader is the one person that rides the roller coaster throughout the entire process. In fact, I’ve often stated that being a sales leader is like being an NFL head coach.
- Why Locally Targeted Digital Marketing Can Earn Your Company 4x the Clicks
5.25.18 – CEPro – Netsertive’s Jay Diamond, Vice President of Sales for Home Technology and Home Goods Division, discusses benefits to its Home Systems Integrator Digital Marketing Program over…
Fire & EMS News
- HI: Firefighters put out early morning fire on Big Isle
5.23.18 – Honolulu Star-Advertiser – A total of 20 firefighters responded to the 3:36 a.m. alarm. The fire was under control at about 4 a.m. and extinguished at 5:45 a.m..
- IL: Smoke alarm alerts residents of fire in home
5.25.18 – LaSalle News Tribune – “Smoke alarms save lives.” That was the message from Streator Fire Department early this morning. Residents were alerted to a fire in …
- NJ: Faulty Sensor Sets Off Unscheduled Fire Alarm At Howell HS
5.24.18 – Patch.com – Howell, NJ – A faulty sensor triggered an unscheduled fire alarm at Howell High School on Thursday, prompting a full police response as firefighters …
- NY: Charged in pulling fire alarm at County Office Building
5.27.18 – Rome Sentinel – Sheriff’s deputies said Yamil Montalvo pulled the alarm at around 4 p.m. when there was no real emergency and because of the activation, all employees were …
- OR: Students taken into custody for falsely activating fire alarm
5.23.18 – My Columbia Basin – Hermiston, OR – Two 15 year old students were taken into custody just after 1:00 p.m. this afternoon for falsely activating a fire alarm at Hermiston High …
- AR: Alarm notifies authorities of burglaries
5.21.18 – The Mena Star – Stolen property from two Mena businesses has been returned after alarms alerted law enforcement to activity in downtown Mena at a retail store Monday, May 7.
- GA: Alleged wig thief indicted for aggravated assault
5.25.18 – Online Athens – An employee followed the woman and tried to get her to return to the store to determine what caused the alarm activation, according to the report. The woman …
- GA: Thieves steal from auto store twice in one week
5.27.18 – FOX 5 Atlanta – What’s even more disturbing is Nguyen says the burglars ran out of the store after setting off an alarm but came back a short time later. “They waited for 30 …
- IL: Police: Joliet burglar lied to firefighters, rode away in a bicycle
5.24.18 – The Herald-News – An alleged burglar tried tricking firefighters into thinking he was working on a residence, where a fire alarm went off. He left the scene on a blue bicycle when …
- IL: Quincy man pleads not guilty in office break-in
5.24.18 – Herald-Whig – Lugena was arrested after the Quincy Police Department said officers were called at 12:41 a.m. to the apartment complex in reference to an alarm going off.
- MA: Acushnet Police Searching for Suspect in Business Break-In
5.26.18 – wbsm.com – On Wednesday at approximately 4:44 a.m., Acushnet Police responded to simultaneous reports of suspicious activity and an alarm activation at Jason’s Variety, …
- MA: Marion Police Log: May 13-19
5.26.18 – Wicked Local – 8:38 a.m.: A burglar alarm was reported …
- MA: Westwood Police Log, May 14-20
5.26.18 – Wicked Local – … their back porch had been moved, mail had been opened, and the house entered, setting off a motion alarm. The residents were advised to change the locks.
- MN: Eden Prairie police remind residents to lock up cars and homes after …
5.22.18 – SW News Media – A woman told police she was awakened by her home alarm going off. She noticed the south-facing sliding door near the kitchen had been left open about 18 …
- MN: Lake County Sheriff’s Report: May 25
5.25.18 – Lake County News Chronicle – 8:06 a.m. Deputy responded to security alarm. All secure. • 9:21 a.m. Deputy responded to report of dogs. Dogs picked up by owner. • 11:24 a.m. …
- MN: Meeker County Sheriff Report 5/18/18-5/20/18
5.21.18 – Crow River Media – On the 18th at 4:03 p.m. the Sheriff’s Office responded to an alarm at an address. The deputy found everything to be okay.
- MN: Woman charged with burglary, theft from Mankato store where she’d …
5.21.18 – Mankato Free Press – The alarm company reported Hodroff’s employee code had been entered to disable the alarm the night of the theft. Hodroff allegedly admitted to an investigator …
- MO: SHERIFF’S REPORT May 14- May 21, 2018
5.24.18 – Ozark County Times – 11:22 p.m. – Security alarm sounding on south warehouse door at Gaines-ville Building … 7:34 a.m. – Security alarm sounding.
- MT: BEST OF THE BLOTTER
5.24.18 – Lone Peak Lookout – Painters set off a burglar alarm at 11 a.m. and could not cancel it. A vehicle’s front right tire was blown out after hitting a rock in the …
- NJ: Three sought for robbing ATM at Mount Olive bank
5.25.18 – New Jersey Hills – The alarm company reported there were multiple people breaking into the bank. Police responded and found a smoke condition in the ATM vestibule. During the .
- NS: Halifax dispensary once again the target of break-in, police raid
5.21.18 – CTV News – Officers responded to an alarm at Coastal Cannapy Dispensary at around 2:40 a.m. on Monday, where they discovered the front door had …
- OH: Bucyrus police arrest couple on burglary, assault charges
5.21.18 – Richland Source – 11:33 a.m. A false alarm was received … 10:39 p.m. Officers responded to an alarm …
- OH: Crime Report: Vehicle possibly related to earlier home break-in …
5.23.18 – 5.23.18 – WDTN.com – Huber Heights, Oh – Two people are in custody after a break-in at the Target in Huber Heights. Officers responded to an alarm at the Target on …
- OH: Gunman robs credit union: Shaker Heights Police Blotter
5.26.18 – cleveland.com – Shaker Heights, Ohio — Aggravated robbery: At 9:40 a.m. May 19, police responded to an alarm at the Buckeye State Credit Union, …
- OH: Man robs bank, then changes mind
5.24.18 – Weatherford Democrat – Weatherford police were called to the Fort Worth Community Credit Union shortly after 11 a.m. in response to a teller hold-up alarm.
- OH: Officer-owned Mason gun store burglarized for second time this year
5.23.18 – WLWT Cincinnati – Investigators said they received a call from a security alarm company around 2 a.m. Wednesday. The thieves can be seen on camera lugging what appear to be …
- OH: Officers find man sleeping in office parking area: Rocky River Police …
5.25.18 – cleveland.com – Suspicious, Detroit Road: On May 19 officers responded to an alarm going off at Minotti’s Wine & Beverage and found the building had been forcibly entered.
- OH: Police arrest two men in connection with West Chester stabbing
5.24.18 – Daily Local News – Burglary >> On May 10, at approximately 3 a.m., the West Chester Police Department responded to a fire alarm. It is suspected that an …
- OH: SHERIFF’S OFFICE
5.23.18 – SalemNews.net – An alarm was reported sounding from inside a Carmel-Achor Road, Rogers, home at 10:35 a.m. Tuesday. Deputies could hear the alarm when they arrived, but …
- OH: Sheriff’s Office
5.26.18 – SalemNews.net – A panic alarm was reported at the home of Wendy S. Blackburn at 10:08 a.m. Thursday. Blackburn told deputies her granddaughter is
- OH: Thieves steal guns from Warren County gun store
5.23.18 – WDTN.com – Mason Police officers went to Firepower Arms and Supply just after 2 a.m. Wednesday after a call from the store’s alarm …
- PA: Police: Man stole credit card from doctor’s office
5.21.18 – Sunbury Daily Item – Mahoning Township Officers Jason Bedisky and Garon Fenstermaker responded to an alarm activation at a hospital pharmacy and found Melnick who allegedly …
- SD: Clay County Sheriff
5.26.18 – Vermillion Plain Talk – 5/18/18 1:59 PM A deputy responded to a report of an intrusion alarm. It was determined to be a false alarm. …
- VA: Salem police investigate gun store burglary
5.25.18 – WDBJ7 – Police say they were called to Trader Jerry’s around 3 Friday morning, after receiving an alarm call that indicated glass at the business had …
- WA: Arrest made after man crashes in stolen car police weren’t chasing
5.25.18 – KIRO Seattle – Officers were responding to a holdup alarm unrelated to this incident. Guy in a stolen vehicle (red car) with a severe case of paranoia looks in the mirror and …
- WA: Joseph Krewson: Help hunt 11-time felon, burglary suspect on …
5.26.18 – Q13 FOX – They quickly left when they realized the alarm was about to go off. “We’ve got him on video burglarizing a house. He’s actually with a friend that detectives still …
- WI: Attempted robbery yields probation
5.23.18 – Leader-Telegram – Holstein had wanted to make contact with police, so he activated an alarm at Mega Holiday. He told officers this did not provide the police response he wanted, …
The National Monitor is a service of the National Electronic Security Alliance (NESA). Member states are free to reproduce the information contained herein in print or electronic media as they see fit. Contact NESA for more information at 301.519.9237 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NESA is a federation of state associations established to serve and promote the electronic systems industry at the direction of, and through its affiliated state associations. Five state associations are part of NESA – Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (TBFAA), Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (MDBFAA), Kansas Electronic Security Association (KESA), Arkansas Security Alarm Association (ASAA) and Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (OKBFAA). For more info visit www.nesaus.org.
NESA Board of Directors
- President – Chris Russell
- Vice President & – Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Craig Bober
- Secretary – Kathleen Schraufnagel
- Treasurer and Arkansas Security Alarm Assn. Director – Rick Howell
- Past President – Jordon Brown
- Kansas Electronic Security Alliance Director – Vacant
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Steven Brekel
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Director – Kelly Ryan
- Associate Director – Brian Villari
- Executive Director – Brad Shipp
- Maryland Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Brian Shrake
- Oklahoma Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Danna Fowble
- Texas Burglar & Fire Alarm Assn. Alternate – Rex Adams