The state approved apprenticeship program for Security and Fire Alarm Installers will begin in October.
Under the program, participating employers will hire apprentices who will earn agreed upon raises as they complete program benchmarks.
Students will participate in classroom training each week via webinars and will have work related tasks to complete and be verified by their employers.
Here are some reasons why Registered apprenticeship is good for business from the Maryland Apprenticeship and Training Program (MATP) site.
- Build your workforce. Registered apprenticeship trains workers in the specific skills needed by your company.
- Reduce turnover costs. Registered apprentices boast an impressive 91% retention rate.*
- Increase productivity. Apprentices report high levels of motivation, satisfaction, and loyalty. For every dollar spent on apprenticeship, U.S. employers get $1.47 back in increased productivity. **
- Make your workplace safer. A well trained workforce may reduce worker compensation costs.
- Plan for employee succession. Registered apprenticeships help you to successfully facilitate the transfer of knowledge from experienced employees to new recruits.
- Take advantage of tax credits and financial incentives. Maryland offers businesses valuable support to build a reliable pipeline of qualified workers.
*According to U.S. Department of Labor statistics, 91% of apprentices remain on the job one year after employment.
**According to the U.S. Department of Labor.